Wednesday, November 7, 2012

America begins again: Reflections on the morning after

Following every presidential election in the US, we the people awaken the next day wondering  what really happened. We listen to the pundits as they spin the days news and comment on what they think happened in respect to our country as a result of the election. No matter what they say, our guts get no real satisfaction and our intellects are left wanting because they tend to look at everything from the political party perspective. Few ever speak from the perspective of the citizen, who by the way, is also the voter. The voter is the one who caused the result and in some way, we are really the only ones who can say what we did, why we did it and what we hope for. That would of course be different for every voter, still I think we can see some commonly shared objectives and idealism in the outcome if we look hard enough.  

Today's blog is my bid to encourage every American to spend some part of the day today, asking ourselves what we hoped for when we cast our vote yesterday.  More importantly, I think we need to ask, "what will I do to make that hope a reality. " I'll start. 

When I went to the polls yesterday I wasn't very enthusiastic about either of the candidates. I was disappointed that the campaign had seemed corporate controlled from the beginning and it never got any better in my opinion. There was never a point in the campaign season that I felt either candidate really cared much about the issues that most Americans care about and I often felt that they were just going through the motions. Nowhere did that seem more obvious than during the staged debates. Most of the time I turned off the TV after the first few minutes or so of the canned questions and the shallow robotic answers.

What changed and why did I vote? I realized that I had to vote. I realized that I could not stay home and do nothing. I thought about the women's suffrage movement and the civil rights movement and it came to me that I was no better than the candidates who I felt had no real civic impulse and who were merely vying for power, should I not vote. I thought that  should I decide to stay home and not vote, that in some way I would have surrendered to the corporate and Zionist control of America, convinced that I no longer mattered and that "we" the people are no longer relevant to our country's future and so are powerless.  I decided to vote and to pick a winner, and I did. he is a winner because I'm sure many Americans who may have also felt like I did, that we no longer matter, changed their minds like I did and decided that we can make a difference and that we must try. 

I pray that Barack Obama will realize that he wasn't re-elected because of his charisma or because of his wife's charisma, nor due to his commitment to the middle class. I voted for Barack Obama because he can do what needs to be done to bring the United States into the 21 st century as a modern country with big ideas that include peace, and I think many other Americans voted for him for this same reason. We want an end to wars. . I voted for Barack Obama because I believe he gets it. He understands that the world has changed and that the US will be left behind if we can't set ourselves free from our past of classim and racism and religious tolerance, violence and war.mongering. Most of all, I voted for Obama because I realize that no politician can do these things alone. I didn't see Mitt Romney as capable of leading the majority of Americans who are not rich white men and Zionist Jews beyond our country's troubled past and to a new future. It will take a Barack Obama to unite this country and to lead us forward. 

Without doubt there are sore losers and spoilers out there who will be busy as before, working to hold our country back, to further divide us and to pit us one against the other and to make us even more marginalized and isolated in the world.  Just like they failed to win last night through a Romney victory, they will continue to lose until they realize that the United States has moved on spiritually and we have rejected hate and intolerance, punishing and humiliating the poor, bullying poor countries and stealing their resources , intimidation warmongering and greed. We don't want to be the world's most feared and hated country and we don't want to fear and hate one another.  We want peace, prosperity and  a revised American dream. A dream that we can all attain without  selling our souls in the bargain.

I was very disappointed that Obama did not once mention the US Constitution in his victory speech, nor the rule of law.  That means that it is up to us to keep our constitution relevant and to hold our government to the social contract of balanced power between the government and the people, self governance through a representative government and liberty as in inalienable rights.  We must continue the struggle to reverse the losses in civil liberties suffered after 9/11 by repealing the controversial laws that resulted in those losses.


Congratulations and good luck Mr. President We the people voted for you, and we are with you, hell or high water, and convinced that both will come our way!  ( double fist pump, hell yeah and two thumbs up!) . 

No comments:

Post a Comment